Keto Running Mama is a blog about living a clean, dairy-free ketogenic lifestyle as a means of fighting auto-immunity. The author runs marathons on a low- carb ketogenic diet and is thriving despite a diagnosis of Multiple Sclerosis.
What Running Does for My Attitude
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
-
Hi, All! It is time to start training for the Pittsburgh Half Marathon! Click on the video link to hear my thoughts on why I do this.
Ketorunningmama
Hi, All. I wanted to check in and let you know that I made it to the double-digits in my preparation runs for the Pittsburgh 1/2 marathon. I ran a 10 miler yesterday. I am sure that you have picked up from other times that I have checked in that I am really struggling to get in all of my weekly miles. I have let that go. My children come first...and I keep them busy....which means that I am busy. This isn't going to change. And I believe that good, quality sleep is just as important as getting in some good exercise. There are only so many hours in a day, so I have decided to be kind to myself and get in what I can get in...without beating myself up if it is not enough. I need to remember what this is all for...and it is for good health, building neuroplasticity to fight Multiple Sclerosis progression and damage, empowerment, and being a good role model for my children. This is not about perfectionism....clinging to a schedule that ...
Getting used to a diet with little to no sugar can be quite an adjustment...especially for kids. When I adopted this lifestyle, my eyes were really opened to exactly how much sugar we are feeding to our children. It is in their peanut butter, their cereal, their snacks, their granola bars, their juice boxes, and much more. When one starts to read labels, one can really see how damaging the cumulative effect of all of that sugar can be! It really is disturbing when you realize how much better you feel without sugar that we have changed the pallets of our children by making them crave more and more of it. For a long time, my daughters turned their noses up to any keto snacks that I made....largely because they looked good, but when they bit into them, they were not sweet enough. The funny thing is, they were sweetened....but with low-glycemic index sweeteners that just were not sweet enough for my children. Today, after months and months of working on lower...
My family was never one that did this...but I distinctly remember my aunt pulling out her jar of lard in the kitchen when she was cooking. I remember that I thought it was disgusting...and terribly unhealthy...and I wondered how one collected that much lard. How could they eat like that and not care about their health?! The horror!!! Fast forward 25 years or more and I am a fat saver. For some of you, this may be something that you already do. I, honestly, did not think about it until my sister-in-law, who went to culinary arts school and also eats keto, told me that she always saves her bacon grease. It does not need to be refrigerated...and can be used for up to 2 weeks. (Mine never lasts that long.) I keep a mason jar by my stove...and every time I cook bacon, I drain the fat into this jar. Bacon grease is perfect for frying eggs. Nothing seems to stick to the pan when I use it. I even use it to add to a dish when I don'...
Comments
Post a Comment